Work with us!
Are you passionate about building a resilient and equitable region? Become a part of the engine behind Sustainable Seattle. S2 is committed to fostering a working environment that is representative of our region. People of all backgrounds, genders, sexualities, ethnicities, nationalities, physical abilities, and primary languages are leaders in advancing a truly resilient Seattle.
Change is good. As they arise, employment opportunities will be posted here.
PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT Sustainable Seattle accepts internship and professional development proposals on a rolling basis. Individuals developing their expertise around sustainability (students, emerging professionals, transitioning professionals, and so on) may submit an idea for a special project or research proposal. Project examples may include, but are not limited to:
- Nonprofit management (administration, resource development)
- Sustainable Business (management strategies for sustainability, industrial trends, industrial ecology, private sector engagement around sustainable practice)
- Marketing (branding, communications and engagement strategy)
- Activism and community organizing
- Community engaged/participatory sustainable landscaping, sustainable infrastructure
- Data and trends (internally (CRM), regionally (GIS))
- Design thinking and systems change
- A combination of the above
- …and what else?
Current organizational projects may include:
- Organizational history – research, design, present (An archiving, impact assessment, and communications project)
- Local practitioners review – a comprehensive, interactive resource guide to active organizations and key regional events (A resource mapping, regional industrial ecology assessment project)
Research topics may include, but are not limited to:
- Full footprint and materials use in and for Seattle
- Greenwashing and Authentic Engagement
- Sustainability, Banking and Financial Institutions in Seattle
- Houselessness and best practices in Seattle
- Public Enagement towards Regenerative Cities
- Critical Culturalism and Social Change
- Gamification and disaster preparedness
- Languistics and Sustainable Urbanism
- Queer/Crip/Intersectional/Feminist Ecology
- …and what else? Or, a combination of the above
Research may be applied to develop new programs, inform strategic direction, or be published on a blog or white paper. We enthusiastically welcome innovative, unconventional, radical, playful, game-changing thinkers. Are you interested in sponsoring a Sustainable Seattle internship? Contact Executive Director Em Piro to provide equitable internships for emerging sustainability leaders in the Seattle area.
Volunteering at Sustainable Seattle is a great way to get involved in your community, gain some experience in sustainability and work with wonderful people on challenging, fun and rewarding programs and projects. Sustainable Seattle’s volunteers are tomorrow’s leaders in sustainability. We always have the need for volunteers to work on our programs and projects.
We are looking for dedicated individuals that are interested in a commitment of 3-20 hrs of work each week, depending on the position. Volunteers are also welcome to be on the list as event volunteers, which is on an as-needed basis.
These are unpaid positions. By joining us at Sustainable Seattle, you will be interacting with a devoted staff of volunteers, all seeking to make positive changes in the world. These are great opportunities to develop your skills (creativity is encouraged!), gain behind the scenes experience of a non-profit organization, while expressing your passion for sustainability. We can provide educational credit where applicable, references for future employment, and reimbursement for approved expenses relating to the position.
Let us to let us know what you are interested in and we will get you plugged in!